All artworks and information on this site is ©2013 and beyond Artistes Hudson Artists Association. No artwork images, or copyright material is to be copied, downloaded, etc., without the express written consent of AHA and/or the respective artist.
The “Lake of Two Mountains Sketching Group” was started in 1950 by four artists wishing to paint in their spare time. They were Campbell Wood, Mel Putnam, J. Ommanney and Vi Bryan. James Cockhart was the teacher and the group made sketching trips in and around the area surrounding Hudson.
Over the years the group expanded and often held exhibitions of their work in St.
James Church hall where well-
More recently a draw for a donated painting is held at each show with the proceeds going to a local benevolent society.
As the group’s reputation grew many artists, semi-
In February 1979 the group was renamed “Artistes Hudson Artists” to reflect the bilingual nature of the region and the home base of the association. In 1981 the Town of Hudson provided the group with a studio in Benson Park in Como. Since the completion of the Hudson Community Centre in 1997, the AHA’s shows and several activities have been held there especially since the loss of the studio in 1999.
In spite of this loss, the Artistes Hudson Artists continues to expand in the new millennium with a present membership of around 70, its reputation has continued to grow and spread in and around the Montreal area, taking its place in the culture of the region.